Thursday, July 28, 2011

Excerpt From My Current Reading

This is an excerpt from the book I'm currently reading titled: Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit  by Francis Chan. He is the same author from the other book I read earlier this summer entitled "Crazy Love" which in fact helped God open my eyes to so many new things I never noticed before. Let me share something with you that made me really think from "Forgotten God":

"A while back, our lack of openness to examining ourselves really hit me. Two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door and initiated conversation. I had a lot to do, so I prepared to send them on their way. But as they began their spiel, I decided to take a few minutes to engage them. I gently told them that I found their teachings about Jesus offensive because they taught that Jesus was the same person as Michael the archangel. I told that that I believe that He is much more that one among many angels, that I believe that He is God. My visitors replied, "No Jesus/Micheal is the only archangel. There are no other archangels." So I asked them to open their Bibles to Daniel 10:13, which reads, "But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michel, one of the chief princes, came to help me" (NIV). I pointed out that this passage is clear: Michael is only "one of" the chief princes (or archangels).

This caught them off guard. They told me they'd never heard or read this before. Now that I had their attention, I said, "There is no way you can look me in the eyes and tell me that you sat down one day seeking to find God, read the Bible, and came to this conclusion that Jesus is the same person as Micheal the archangel. No one could come to that conclusion. You only believe it because that's what you were told, and I don't want to stand here and spoon feed you something else." With that, I challenged them to read the Bible for themselves, rather than simply accept that what they've been told about it. They went away that day and said they would consider doing that.

I left that conversation feeling a bit proud of myself because I stumped them and got them to question their beliefs. Yet I couldn't help but wonder whether I was fair to them. Had I ever sat down with the Bible and sought after its self-evident truth?"



Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit page 28,29

3 comments:

  1. Im interested!
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN AMEN AMEN! God bless you Diana! God bless you for your boldness! Although, I must say, this is most certainly the working of the Holy Spirit, that gave you the right words and courage to "stump" them. Glory to Him! Bless you sister! :D :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only it were me! This is an excerpt from the current book I'm reading titled Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit by Francis Chan :)

    ReplyDelete